The Virginia Nursery & Landscape Association (VNLA) is a 501c6 nonprofit.
A membership-based, state trade association for garden centers, nursery growers, landscape designers, installation and maintenance contractors, greenhouses and green industry suppliers. The VNLA encourages dialogue and collaboration between the state’s green industry organizations to encourage a unified message and enhance the positive economic and environmental impact of Virginia’s nursery and landscape design professionals.
Enhance, promote and advocate for Virginia’s nursery and landscape industry.
Strive to unify, strengthen and promote the green industry, while advancing industry best practices and principles that help keep Virginia green and growing.
- 1932: Virginia Nurserymen’s Association (VNA) was established.
- 1970: Mid-Atlantic Nursery Trade Show, Inc. (MANTS ®) was established by the Maryland and Virginia Nurserymen’s Associations. The West Virginia Nurserymen’s Association became the third partner in 1972. All three State Nursery and Landscape Associations are equal sponsors of the show.
- MANTS ® is the primary source of funding for the VNLA.
- 1971: MANTS ® was first held in Williamsburg, VA with 64 exhibitors. In 1972, MANTS ® was held in Cockeysville, Maryland with 79 exhibitors. Through the following years the show continued to grow with several more in Maryland and three at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.
- 1978: VNLA’s Virginia Certified Horticulturist (VCH) program began.
- 1980: MANTS ® was held in Norfolk, Virginia. All subsequent winter shows have been held at the Baltimore Convention Center in Maryland.
- MANTS ® is widely known as The Masterpiece of Trade Shows and the place where industry members come every January because MANTS ® means business. The show covers over 300,000 square feet of contiguous exhibit space. Today the show has a waiting list and it strives to accommodate as many space requests from current and prospective exhibitors. MANTS ® draws exhibiting companies and attendees from throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan and Asia.
- 1998: Virginia Nurseryman’s Association (VNA) became Virginia Nursery & Landscape Association (VNLA). Reflecting the diversity of membership to include production nurseries, landscape contractors and designers, retailer garden centers, educators and others.
- 2018: VNLA’s Virginia Certified Horticulturist (VCH) program celebrated 40 years!
- 2020: MANTS ® celebrated its 50th year anniversary!
If you have questions about MANTS or any information provided on this page, please call or email the VNLA.
To learn more about MANTS visit: www.mants.com